Soap nuts are natural soaps that grow on trees. These are the fruits of the tree called Sapindus. They do not contain any harmful chemicals and dyes or any other artificial fragrance. Sapindus grow in warm tropical regions and are native trees of India, Indonesia, Nepal and other South East Asian countries. They are easy to use and can be trusted for long term safety from any adverse chemical reactions on the body and nature.
A comparative study of the two can give a clear picture of what soap nuts can offer you in terms of a natural detergent. To begin with we can discuss the harmful effects of the chemical detergents.
CHEMICAL DETERGENTS: These laundry detergents and chemical soaps are made up of chemicals and toxins that may have some long term affects. These effects are listed below:
* The chemicals, dyes and artificial detergents which are used in the laundry detergents are harmful and used for cleaning clothes, these chemicals and dyes stay back within the pores of the fabric even after cleansing. When these clothes are worn, these chemicals come in contact with the body skin and enter into our blood and causes adverse reactions which are harmful to human body. When these toxins are exposed to sunlight, they release vapors giving us an unhealthy air to breath.
* The laundry detergents contain enzymes which are known to cause allergies and dermatitis.
* Sodium hypochlorite presents in the detergents cause lung irritation, respiratory reactions, and cardiovascular damage and damage your eye and skin.
* Nonylphenoxy Ethoxylates present in the detergents are responsible for increase in breast and prostate cancer. This particular chemical can also cause infertility and is a key ingredient in declining amphibian population.
* The chemicals in the detergent can cause premature wear and tear of the clothes.
When compared to these drawbacks of the laundry detergents, the soap nuts are actually blessings in disguise.
SOAP NUTS: The soap nuts are natural and do not contain any harmful chemicals or toxins. They have a natural chemical called Saponin. The Saponin present in high concentration (nearly 10-18%) acts as a natural detergents when comes in contact with water.
* These are 100% organic and bio-degradable.
* They have a natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal action which destroys the harmful micro organisms.
* Due to the anti-microbial property, soap nuts are used for bathing and keep the skin smooth and germs free.
* The soap nuts do not cause any allergic affect on the skin because of the absence of enzymes and contains hypo allergic elements which prevent allergy.
* The detergent which goes out as end and waste has the antimicrobial properties which causes cleaning of the drainage and sewer system and thus becomes eco-friendly.
* This anti-microbial and hypo-allergic property of the soap nuts is good for people suffering from eczema and any other skin infection.
* They don’t damage the linen fibers and protects color.
* Last but not the least they are re-usable.
Thus, when it comes to create a green and natural world, when it comes to the economical aspect, laundry detergents and the soaps are nowhere to stand in comparison to soap nuts. We need to decide.